We were founded by order of the Iowa Legislature in 1858 and are the oldest university museum west of the Mississippi River. We combine exhibits, education resources, programming, collections, and research opportunities to support the University of Iowa and our community.
With our sister museum, the Old Capitol Museum, we are part of the University of Iowa Pentacrest Museums, the "Doorways to Discovery" on the historic Pentacrest in downtown Iowa City. We are located in Macbride Hall, which we share with the Department of Anthropology and parts of several other university departments.
The mission of the University of Iowa Museum of Natural History is to inspire in visitors of all ages understanding and a sense of wonder, discovery, respect, and responsibility for our natural and cultural worlds through exhibits, educational programs, and collections, as well as through linkages with UI research and activities.