Open Position Notification
University of Iowa Pentacrest Museums
The University of Iowa (UI) Pentacrest Museums seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Communications Coordinator. This position will lead communications, publicity, marketing and external relations for the Old Capitol Museum and the Museum of Natural History (which together form the UI Pentacrest Museums) and for the UI Mobile Museum. The ideal candidate will have professional experience in communications, publicity, or public relations, combined with a demonstrated interest in academic museums and our mission.
Duties include: Publicizing museum exhibits, programs, events, and news; writing, editing, and managing production of press releases and stories for university and external publication, annual report, monthly subscriber emails, special event announcements, and other materials; maintaining email and paper subscriber lists; maintaining and developing content for websites and social media; serving as departmental point of contact for the media and UI communications; writing and editing material for museum exhibitions; assisting in development and implementation of the overall publicity and marketing strategy for the museums; and supervising student employees, interns, and volunteers.
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 6 months to 1 year professional experience in a position including substantial publicity, communications, or public relations responsibilities
- Strong technical writing and editing skills to be demonstrated by 3-5 writing samples, preferably published
- Must have a valid U.S. driving license and be able to meet the University of Iowa’s Fleet Safety requirements: http://opsmanual.uiowa.edu/administrative-financial-and-facilities-policies/fleet-services/fleet-safety-program
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, or a field related to the museums’ mission
- 1-3 years professional experience in a museum or similar organization
- 1-3 years professional experience in publicity, communications, and public relations
- Experience supervising students and/or volunteers.
- Experience with marketing and publicity through social media.
- Experience with and working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software for illustration, design and desktop publishing.
To apply: See requisition 69341 at http://jobs.uiowa.edu/jobSearch/index.php
Applicable background checks will be conducted.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.