The UI Museum of Natural History will put on Art Nite again this year! Join us in one of our magical gallery spaces after-hours with other artists in your community.
This program is designed for adult participants but everyone is welcome! Admission is free. Advanced registration not required.
New Spring 2019 dates:
Thursday, January 31Rescheduled due to severe weather: Thursday, February 7 5-6:30 pm in MNH (Mammal)
Thursday, February 21 5-6:30 pm in MNH (Bird)
Explore the Museum of Natural History after dark for an evening of pizza and STEM fun! Each month, explore a different area of science, technology, and culture with interactive demonstrations, fun activities, and hands-on materials. Each child receives an official MNH Miner Helmet with a head lamp to keep, and the group explores the darkened bird and mammal galleries as part of the evening’s activities. This is a drop off program, long enough for parents to have dinner or even go see a movie!
For students in grades 1-5; $30 per student per program.
Programming this year will include 4 topics over 8 dates:
- MIGHTY MICROBES (Microbiology) - February 8th & 15th
- ENGINEERING AND INNOVATION - March 1th & 8th
- NATURAL DISASTER MASTERS - April 5th & 12th
- PALEONTOLOGY - May 3rd & 17th
Pre-registration is required due to limited space but each program is offered twice per month to accommodate additional participants. Register today by using the in-text links.
Night at the Museum is back with a twist…this one’s for BIG kids!
The Museum of Natural History is proud to present NATM: College Edition! A good ol’ fashioned pizza party, with cupcakes, and games for prizes all in our magical museum galleries after hours. Explore the museum after dark through the lens of your own phone on a photo scavenger hunt. Punch through a wall to reveal your prize. Win gift cards to the best businesses in town!
This is a FREE program to UI Undergraduate Students. Sign up today with a buddy and come party with us!
Bring your toddler to enjoy a story and related activities at the Museum of Natural History! Read on the Rug is recommended for ages 2-4, and children must be accompanied by an adult for the duration of the program.
Cost is free, space is limited to ten and advance signup is required so we have space and materials for everyone. Please sign up using the registration links:
A mystery is afoot at the UI Museum of Natural History. Curator and Professor Charles Nutting’s brief case went missing in 1897. Over the course of more than a century many of the University's brightest minds have searched for it in vain. This brief case contains important documentation about many of the specimens on exhibit. Without the documentation, the futures of the exhibits are uncertain. You & your team of 5 will have 60 minutes to crack codes, solve clues, & solve puzzles throughout the gallery and find the long lost briefcase. Are you up to the challenge?
- Build your team, choose a date, choose a time on the hour, and register today! Team fees are $35 (UI student teams are $15)
- At this time we cannot take walk-ins. All reservations must be made online in advance. Bookings for a given day close at midnight the night before.
- The UI MNH Escape Room is designed for those 12 and over. A supervising adult must accompany players under 16 years of age.
- Please plan to arrive 10 minutes before your start time. Gallery doors cannot be reopened once the game begins.
- Bring your best wits & detective skills because cell phone use is not permitted in the Escape Room!
STAY TUNED FOR NEW DATES in Fall 2019...